San Jordi is approaching and you have been reading lots of books this year, haven’t you? Well, In English we have a bit of a problem to be able to read books that are not abridged, we can read excerpts but not long interesting novels as you do in Spanish or in Catalan. It will take us a couple of years to be able to do it, but we’ll get to it, for sure!
You have already written a book report on The Snow Queen, by Christian Andersen, a story you read translated into Catalan. Today we are going to concentrate on the last book you read for your Spanish class, “The Prince of Mist”, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Instead of reading a review in English you will have to watch four videos:
- A short promotional video of the book
- An interview with the author
- A review of the book by a young girl
- A review of the book by an older woman.
1. A short promotional video of the book
Does the video make you want to read the book?
2. An interview with the author. Listen to it and answer 26 questions
This is an interview with Carlos Garcia Zafon about his book “The Prince of Mist” that you have just read in your Spanish class.
The author, in perfect English -I bet you are surprised at how good he is- talks about his books and his work as a writer.
Watch the video and answer the following questions. In some cases you will need to answer full questions while in others, just complete the missing words.
- How many novels had he written before “The Prince of Mist” that had not been translated into English?
- The Prince of Mist is the 1st a sequence of young adult novels he wrote in the _______
- Complete the titles of the Trilogy: The Prince of Mist; The Palace of____________; The Lights of _______________
- He descibes these novels as : F____________ stories; G____________ M________________adventure
- Do these novels have the same characters?
- What do they have in common?
- When was the Prince of Mist published in English?
- Had the book been published when Zafon gave this interview?
- Zafón says that The Prince of Mist is a coming of age story, what does he mean?
- Where is the story set?
- Why is Max forced to move out of the city?
- Where do Max and his family move to?
- Who did the house belong to in the past?
- What is one of the themes of the novel?
- According to Zafón do teenagers accept the answers given by adults or do they neeed to figure out Anders by themselves?
- What is the moral of the story in the Prince of Mist?
- Where does Zafón write?
- In order to write Zafón needs to be connected or cut off from the World?
- What are the essential tools for a writer?
- Where did he get his inspiration from?
- What does he use his characters for?
- What do you think about his office, where he gives this interview?
- Is this video recorded in California or in Barcelona?
- Does the place seem as a “secluded cave”?
- Had you seen or listened toa n interview of Zafón before?
- Did you expect him to be like this when you read the book?
3.A review of the book by a young girl
- When did she get the book?
- What does she think of it?
- What part does she read in the video?
- Does she recommend it?
- Does she think it is scary?
- How many stars des she give the book?
- Post a comment to her and say whether you agree with her review?
4 A review of the book by an older woman.
- What does she complain about?
- Which currency is she talking about?
- Howmany pages does her book have?
- She says it is a hardcover, what is the name of the books that are not hardcover?
- Which ones are more expensive?
- What does she read in the video?
- She shows you the chaps headings, why?
- How long did it take her t oread the book?
- What does she think of the plot?
- How does she assess the book?
- Would she have liked the book to be longer or shorter?
- What does she miss in the book?
- What is her final mark for the book?
- Which review did you like best?
- Do you think it is a good idea to tape book reviews? Could you do one of one of the books you’ve read?
Homework: Answer the questions in your notebook for Tuesday 8th of March and post at least one answer to the blog. Remember not to post an answer that has already been answered by a classmate unless you have something new to say.