Emili has just posted an interesting article about urban orchards in Spain. Last year we talked about our city, Palma. This year we’ll continue to explore cities, from different perspectives. One of the key concepts will be SUSTAINABILITY.
Here follow two videos and a link to a web page. They will help you understand what sustainaibility is. Both of them were filmed in London. Whatch them and answer the questions. Can you see any relation between El País article Emili uploaded and these videos?
HOMEWORK: Monday 25th September
Listen to the videos a couple of times. Before listening look at the questions and at the phonemic transcription of the words in bold. it will help you recognize them when you hear them. Post the answers to the blog. Remember, once a classmate finds the correct answer, there is no need to repeat it. Everyone must copy the answers in their notebook.
Pay attention to the pronunciation of the following words, you know the sounds, we learnt them last year.
orchard /’ɔ:rtʃərd / /tʃ/
Ark /ɑ:rk / /k /
arch /ɑ:rtʃ / /tʃ/
shed /ʃed/ /ʃ/
pear /peəʳ/ /eə/
Now let’s see if you can answer the following questions.There are III sets of questions: I, in green about Union Street Project. II, in blue about Union Street Project web page. III, in purple about The London orchard Project.
1) How long had the urban orchard been going on when the video was filmed,?
2) When will it close?
3) Did you see any fish in the pond? what colour?
4)What kind of fruits were there in the growing wall?
5) where do tomatoes grow, inside a shed or outside?
6) what are seed bombs?
7) How many types of apples can you find in the orchard? 4? 14? 40?
8) How many types of pears?
9) tick the fruits that can be found in the orchard
lemons, cherries, quinces, plums, bananas, peaches, kiwis
10) When will the apples be ready for picking?
This is a link to the web page that was created for this Project. Visit the page and find out more about it.
- Where is Union Street?
- Who was involved in the project?
- Are there any partner projects publicized in the page?
- Look at the photo galery and choose a pic you like. Describe it in a couple of sentences.
- What is the idea behind the arch?
In the pic you can see a…./ there is a …../
Finally, Here is another you tube video about “the London Orchard Project”. Watch it and find out what more.
- What is the big wheel that can be seen in the background at the beginning?
- Which school do they visit?
- What does the teacher think about the project?
- Did you have an orchard in your primary school?
- Do you think it is a good idea? Why?
- Would you like to visit an urban orchard here in Palma?