Are you familiar with the names of the musical instruments in an orchestra?Can you distinguish their individual sounds? In this great site from the San Francisco Synphony Orchestra, you can listen to all of them. Browse the site and post to the blog your comments.
In your group there are a few students who have to make a great effort to attend music lessons after school. Playing in an orchestra might be for those students part of their dream. In most famous orchestras there are musicians from all over the world. It is very difficult to get to play, let’s say in the Vienna Philharmonic. Only the very best at world level manage to make it. That is the reasonwhy famous orchestras act as magnets and people move countries to be able to play in them. However, even if being a soloist at the Vienna Philharmonic is something reserved for just a few, the Internet has made possible that musicians from all over the world gather for a few days to play music in concerts halls such as the Sydney Opera , where usually only most famous orchestras play. In fact, the internet has made things easier for musicians and music lovers, from listening to music to to sharing what you do with other music lovers from all over the world. Let’s see what you think of this project.
Task 1: What is the You tube Symphony Orchestra? search in the internet and asnwer these questions:
You may want to start by visiting its you tube channel
- Why is it called The Youtube Symphony Orchestra?
- When was the project launched?
- How were the members of the orchestra chosen?
- Where did the auditions take place?
- Were there any important orchestras that supported the porject?
- When did the 2010 Concert take place?
- What about the 2011 Grand Finale?
- Who was the conductor of the concerts?
- Where did the orchestra get funding for the project?
- What is the name of the Orchestra conductor and artistic director?
Task 2:15 musicians and 15 questions
Here follows a table of 15 different musicians. All of them have a short You Tube video presenting themselves. Listen to the video and take notes about what they say . Use the set of 15 question questions to help you take notes. You will not find answers for every questions in each video. As a result, choose the 2 videos you found most interesting and post your comments to the blog.
- Add some extra information about the musician: age, looks, impression she/he makes on you,
- Imagine you were a journalist . You have to choose a quote from one of the videos that would make the headlines. Which one would yuou choose?
- What about their English?
- Where are they from? Do they give any extra information other than their country of origin?
- Do they live in the same country were they were born? If not, why?
- Are they currently taking music lessons/ working?
- At what age did they start playing?
- Who intoduced them to their istrument?
- Was it love at first sight with the instrument or did it take longer?
- Do they come form a family with a musical background?
- Where was the presentation video recorded?
- Do the images of the video provide any additional information about the city/house were the musician lives ?
- Why did they decide to take part in the youtube synphony orchestra project?
- How do they feel about having been selected?
- What were their expectations about travelling to Sidney, Australia?