With Emili, you are analysing some ads and reflecting on the messages of publicity campaigns.
Well, now that all of you are longing to have a POMAGRANATE phone, I’m afraid I have to dissapoint you and let you know that this particular phone does not exist, at least not yet. The video you sway was part of a publicity campaign. It advertised something different, not the phone itself.
- Do you know what viral publicity is?
- What about flash mobs?
They are concepts associated with the spread of new technologies, access to Internet, social networks, blogs and other phenomena specific to Internet such as You Tube. Run a search and tell me what you find. Emili can help you too.
Here follow some examples of what viral publicity is.
- Have you ever thought of going up the stairs if there is a lift?
- Keeping fit is a good enough reason for not taking the lift?
- Have a look at this video and tell me if you understand the idea of “the theory of fun ” and how it works
Well, the experiment was part of campaign of a publicity agency, DDB Stockholm. The campaign, was promoted by Volkswagen, aimed at promoting how changing lazy behaviour is not that difficult and claimed that discovering the fun side of acting responsibly can change people’s behaviour. Probably Volkswagen wanted to associate its brand with the idea of environmentally friendly cars.
- Do you think it worked?
In this kind of publicity, the brand name, Wolkswagen is subtle, it just appears at the end of the video as VW logo.
- Can you think of any other campaigns where the brand name or the product being advertised is also difficult to spot?
- Do you recycle bottles? Can you think of a way to make it fun?
Well, this experiment took place in Stockholm too and this is what happened?
- How many people used the new bottle bank in one night?
- How many people used the average containers?
Finally, the agency launched a contest to make people contribute to their fun theory with new ideas.
This was the idea that won the contest. Let’s see what you think about it. Have you got any bright ideas yourselves?
- Do you think fun can change behaviour for the better?
- How does the speed lottery work?
Homework: Post your answers and comment to the blog for Tuesday 22nd