This term we have visited an Exhibition at La Misericordia, “La mirada del Viatger”, where you could see sterographs of Mallorca. Now you have the chance to compare them with sterographs taken by a French photographer. Some of the photos were taken in the same period, but the landscapes, the people and the atmosphere are very different.
During the visit to the exhibition. Use the space provided in this dossier to take notes and complete the information required.
- When and where was he born?
- How old was he when he died?
- Did he have any borthers?
II) Childhood memories
- Would you say he had a happy childhood? Choose some images to support your answer. Copy the title and the year where the photographs were taken.
- What surprised you most about the pictures of his early years?
- What kind of toys can you see?
- What kind of games did he play?
III) Sporting events
- Which sports can you see in the photographs? Name them:
- what type of landscapes can you see? Choose one of the following categories:
- Sea resorts
- Ski resorts
- Cities. Which cities?
- What kind of dresses did women wear?
- Are most women in the photos elegant wealthy women?
VI) Reflecting on what you see. After watching the exhibition, what do you think was Lartigue’s main reason for taking photos. Tick the ones you feel are the best explanation and add any other reasons you might think of.
- He wanted to preserve happy moments
- He wanted time to stand still
- He wanted to freeze images
- He wanted to trap movement in a frozen image
- He wanted to keep a recored of the new technological advances.
- Do you think Lartiges photos catch aspects of reality that would be invisible for most of us?
VII) If you had to choose a set of words to descibe the overall impression the photos had on you, which words would come to your mind? Choose among the list and add any you might think of:
- Old age
Choose a photo that best describes the words you have chosen.
VIII) Stereoscopes and stereographs.
There are many stereographs distributed all over the exhibition. Choose the one you liked best and describe it.
After the exhibition
In this web site run by the Donation Jacques Henri Lartigue you will find a chronology. of Jacques Henri Lartigue’s life, which has been divided into five different periods. You will have to visit it to be able to answer the following questions about Lartigue’s life.http://www.lartigue.org/us2/jhlartigue/chronologie/index-c5.html
- What was his older brother nickname?
- When did he get his first own camera?
- How does Lartigue make photographs of “ghosts”? Which technique does he use?
- Did he ever live in a palace when he was young?
- Jacques was fascinated by planes, who accompanied him on his trips to see test flights of the first airplanes?
- When does he start taking panoramic views with a new stereocopic camera?
- 1914 is the breakout of world war I. Was Lartigue drafted?
- When does he decide to become a painter?
- What does he use his race car for during the war?
- Who is “Bibi”?
- What are the main events in these years?
- Who does he marry in these years?
- What kind of photos does he take in 1944?
- When does he start taking colour shots?
- Who does he sell his photos to?
- Does he marry again in these years?
- Which important museum exhibits his works in the early 60’s?
- Which costume designs of a very famous film are inspired by a Lartigue photopgraph of 1911?
- Why is 1979 a very important year for Lartigue’s work?
- What anniversary does Lartigue celebrate in 1982?
- Where does he die?
- Brochure of the exhibition
- Panels and information displayed at the exhibition
- Captions of the photographs
- Did you like the exhibition
- Did you learn anything by doing the tasks
- Did the dossier help you reflect on what you saw?
- Did you find it interesting