This is the dossier you will be given next Monday. You have time during the weekend to read it carefully and to check the tasks you will have to do during and after the outing.
This city walk is part of a series we shall be doing during the year in order to get to know our city, its history and some of its most emblematic buildings. We would like you to understand that learning is something that can also take place outside school. A school outing is just a different kind of lesson.
Instructions for the city walk:
- In this outing you will be working in groups of 4.
- Each group will have a name connected with a part of the city and a spokesperson who will be responsible for communicating with the teacher.
- During the visit the group members must stay together in order to carry out the tasks.
- You must behave in an appropriate way: no shouting, running or using rude language.
- Each teacher will communicate with you in a different language. We know that, for most of you, English is more difficult to understand than Catalan or Spanish but you can try to use simple words and short sentences. Anyway, do not worry too much, eventually you’ll get to understand much more. Maria Vallespir, our guide for the day, will talk to you in Catalan.
- Everyone will take notes in their dossier. After the outing, notes should be transferred from the dossier to the notebook. Every student must do it individually.
- In this handout you will find the tasks that you will be doing with your group. After the outing, each group will share the information collected by group members in the dossier, check the spelling, distribute power point slides among members and produce the power point presentation.
- The power point must be done in a Google document and shared with Emili, Bernat and María. Deadline for the power point will be Friday 17th. On Monday the 20th of December, you will present it to your classmates.
- We shall stop during the walk to have a snack, so remember to bring something to drink, a sandwich and/or a piece of fruit.
- Write in the space below the names of the group members and the spokesperson.
Group name: __________________ Spokesperson:___________
Group Members:____________, ____________ and _____________
Each power point must have 11 slides presenting the tasks as follows:
During the walk in the city you will carry out different tasks in different languages. All the tasks aim at developing your awareness on your city. We would like you to reflect on the place you live, its history and also in the aspects that make a city a good place to live and a sustainable one too. The work you do in any of the languages can be evaluated in any of the 3 subjects. For instance, the information you need to find out in order to answer the Catalan file and the photos you will take for your English tasks will help you when write the description of your city walk in Spanish
TASK 1. Giving directions and knowing how to use a map
You have checked Google maps with Emili and for this outing you will be given a real map of the city. With the map in your hand you must be able to give instructions in English. The English teacher will approach you at different points of the walk and ask you where you are and how you got to that particular point. In order to be able to answer, you must learn and study the basic vocabulary and structures used to give directions in a city.
- Straight on
- Turn left/right at the ….
- You will see…….
- Keep going until you see/ you get to
- The…… is situated
- Interviewing a tourist. Finding out other people’s opinion about your city.
- Entrevistar qualsevol persona, resident a Palma, que trobis durant el passeig i li demanes la seva opinió sobre la ciutat.
During the walk, particularly when we approach the cathedral, you will probably find groups of tourists. You will have to ask them some questions about their impression of the city. One person can ask and the others take notes. Remember to be polite and be ready to accept that some people do not want to answer questions. One interview per group will be enough. Memorize the questions before Monday. It is not nice answering to someone who is reading a piece of paper and not looking at you.
En català no farà falta que us donem les preguntes peró les heu de tenir preparades i les normes són les mateixes que en anglès.
- Excuse me, we are students from a High School in Palma, can you speak English?
- Can we ask you a question for a project on city life?
- Where are you from?
- What is your opinion about our city?
- Can you give Palma a mark from 1 to 10?
- What is the building you like best?
- Is there anything you do not like?
- Thank you for your help
- Add here any other questions you’d like to ask
TASK 3. Look for weak points in your city. Think of ideas for making our city a better place.
1) During the walk you must look for a part of the city that has been vandalized or looks abandoned or in bad condition. It can be a pavement, a bench, a lamppost, a house or just rubbish on the floor. Take note of the place and take a picture. Did you see any graffiti on your walk? Where
2) Think of a place, corner, street that could be improved. Take a photo and explain the things you would do. Here follow some ideas of actions that can improve city life: Removing obstacles, cleaning, murals, painting, demolishing, planting trees, making new sidewalks….. but of course there can be others. explain your ideas.
Possible things to improve:
I would plant more trees in ….
Chose a square, a building, a shop, a tree, a view, a street, a café, take a picture and identify it. Write a short description. Avoid emblematic buildings such as the cathedral or the Bellver castle. You will work on them in a different section.
Four pairs of eyes see more than one. The point of this activity is to look around you with different eyes. Let’s see what you find: Unusual traffic signs, strange things going on, small objects that suddenly catch your eye, an odd view of a well known building, a shade, some litter on the pavement, a strange shop window, an abstract composition. You decide and take a picture. Then, you must think of a good caption for it. It must have some relation with city life.
TASK 6: ENGLISH FILE. Answering questions
Complete this file. You can check the town council web page for some information on the city. You can find it in four languages: Catalan, Spanish, English and German. http://www.palmademallorca.es/IMI/PORTAL/PRD/home.jsp
- The Sea Consulate dates back to the XVth century.
- The Almudaina Palace dates back to……………….
- The March Palace dates back to………………..
- The Cathedral dates back to…………………
- The Town Hall dates back to…………………
- Sa Llotja dates back to…………………
- The walls date back to…………………
- A court yard (Choose one, situate it on the map and write its name)
- A square (Choose one, situate it on the map and write its name)
- A narrow street (Choose one, situate it on the map and write its name)
- A church(Choose one, situate it on the map and write its name)
- A shop (Choose one, situate it on the map and write its name)
General reflections on Palma’s atmosphere:
13. Would you describe Palma as a busy city, buzzing with life?
14. Were there signs directing you to emblematic buildings?
15. Did you see many tourists?
16. Did you see many people using bicycles?
17. Were shops full of people?
18. What about cafes?
19. What was traffic like?
20. Were the streets clean?
TASK 7 CATALAN FILE
FITXA DE LA FAÇANA MARÍTIMA.
1) Alguns edificis emblemàtics de la façana marítima s’han fet servir durant segles per a la mateixa funció, com la catedral. Comenta els canvis d’ús que han sofert alguns altres, com el castell de Bellver, els molins del Jonquet, es Baluard, Consolat de Mar, sa Llotja o l’Almudaina.
2) Compara l’alçada de la Seu amb qualsevol altre edifici de Palma.
3) Per què creus que el castell de Bellver està damunt un pujol? De què li servia tenir la planta de forma circular?
4) Quines banderes hi ha en el Consolat de Mar?.
5) La Seu i sa Llotja són del mateix estil arquitectònic. Intenta trobar-hi qualque element que tenguin en comú.
6) Averigua com es diu l’estil arquitectònic de la catedral i sa Llotja i el castell de Bellver.
7) Indica quin d’aquests edificis té el nom d’origen àrab. Per què creus que l’Auditòrium té el nom llatinitzat?
9) Dóna la teva opinió sobre els edificis del segle XX.
10) A quins d’aquests edificis hi has entrat qualque vegada?
11) Què creus que hi hauríem de construir actualment per a millorar la façana marítima?
12) Copia la inscripció que hi ha en català a l’estàtua dedicada a Ramon Llull. En quines altres llengües hi ha frases escrites a la peanya?
13) A quin d’aquests edificis tenim més possibilitats de trobar-hi el president Francesc Antich? Per què?
14) Per què creus que a la façana marítima no hi ha cap edifici d’estil modernista? (Recorda que el modernisme era l’estil del Gran Hotel que vàrem visitar a principi de curs)
Notas para la elaboración de la ruta.
Una guía turística es un trabajo: no salimos el lunes como turistas, todo lo contrario. Durante estas casi cuatro horas seréis periodistas. Fijaos bien en los paisajes y en los edificios, pero también en el efecto que pueden producir en un visitante. Tendréis que escribir una ruta que pueda orientarles: comodidad, duración, atractivos, originalidad, peligros. No vale ser sólo descriptivos, también debéis interesar al lector, conseguir que la ruta sea útil y atractiva
- Sucht bitte das Vokabular auf Deutsch in Restaurants, in Monumenten, Geschäften und Broschüren, etc.
- Hast du auch Deutsche interviewt? Woher kommen sie?
1. Cherchez le vocabulaire en français, que vous trouvez dans les restaurants, monuments, boutiques, brochures, etc.
2. Avez-vous interrogé des touristes français? D’où viennent-ils?
Your teachers would like some feedback on this activity and on the outing. Answer as honestly as possible.
- Did you like the outing? Yes So, so No
- You learnt: A lot Something Not very much Nothing