November is time for pumpkins, both in Taylor’s country and in Mallorca.
Last lesson Taylor talked to you about an American celebration, Thanksgiving. In the USA, on Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday of November, pumpkin cake together with turkey are always present at the table.
In Mallorca, pumpkins are also present in autum fairs and celebrations. Check the following posts in Majorca Daily Photo Blog:
2nd October and 15th November 2010; 11th October and 16th November 2009. Find out information to answer the following questions. This way, you will also learn to compare and put together information from different posts within a blog.
- Which family do pumpkins belong to?
- Where are pumpkins originally from?
- In Mallorca, are pumpkins only used as part of our diet?
- Where does the pumpkin competition take place?
- Did it take place in the same town both years?
- How many kilos did the biggest pumpkin weigh in 2009?
- How many kilos did the biggest pumpkin weigh in 2010?
- Who were the winners?
- What did the winners of the pumpkin competition receive as a price? Did they get the same price both years?
- What did people ask the winners for?
- What kind of dish does the author of the post recommend? Pumpkin pie?
- Which pumpkin pics did you like best, the ones from 2009 or from 2010?
Ask your parents or grandparents, they might know a nice recipe with pumpkin they would like to share with our class.
If you have any dish with pumpkin in it during this week, take a pic, write the recipe and we shall post it to the blog.
Homework: Post your answers to the blog before next Friday November 26th. If you find a recipe or take a pic, send it to me so I can publish it.
Here follows a video on how to make a typical American Thanksgiving pumpkin pie in case you want to give it a try.
a silly one, just for fun